HISTORICAL – CUTURAL RELICS

Monday - 28/11/2016 09:15
Hien Luong – Ben Hai river banks historical relic
Hien Luong -Ben Hal river banks is the historical vestige for a period of nearly 20 years of North-South separation and the heroic war of our nation in the country protection and reunification war.
When Geneva Agreement was signed, Ben Hal river was selected to be the temporary boundary in two years to collect the forces in two banks and general war to reunite the country. Because America - Diem tried to violate the Agreement to divide Vietnam for a long time so Ben Hai river and Hien Luong bridge have come into the history of the nation and memories of the people as a sorrow of being apart and desire for reunification of our people.
Hien Luong Bridge
Hien Luong bridge is crossed Ben Hal river on National Highway No. 1A (at Km735,) to connect Hien Luong hamlet, Vinh Thanh commune, Vinh Linh district on the North bank and Xuan Hoa hamlet, Trung Hal commune, Gio Linh district on South bank. Up to now, it was 8 times the bridge crossing Ben Hai river was constructed (the first bridge was wooden bridge which was constructed in 1922 and the latest modern bridge was constructed in 1996), however the bridge with deepest impression in the history was the bridge constructed by the French in 1952. Although this bridge was only existed up to 1967 but that bridge was the direct symbol of the sorrow of being apart of the nation.
In this place, from 7/1954 - 10/1956, there were many fighting between our troops and the enemy troops. Many people and soldiers struggled to ask for performing Geneva Agreement and this place was also the place of many touching stories about the affection of the North and the South.
Hien Luong Flagpole
Protecting and maintaining the National Flag waving on the sky of the boundary was an exploit. We had to “race” with the enemy in terms of the height of the flagpole and the width of the flag while the enemy tried all efforts to collapse Hien Luong flagpole. In order to protect Hien Luong flagpole, soldiers of Hien Luong police post had to fight in more than 300 small and big battles any many soldiers fell for the ever-waving of the flag on the sky of the country. Only from 19/05/1956 to 28/10/1967, we hanged 267 national flags of different sizes. In 1967, we had to change the flagpole for 11 times and change the flags for 42 times because they were damaged by bombs and guns of American troops. Hien Luong flagpole was the truth of the revolution and the sacred concept about the affection of the Northern Socialist where days and nights spent loves and misses for the South.
Reunification Desire Statue
Reunification desire statue was constructed from 2002, completed in 2008 and located in the system of Hien Luong - Ben Hai river banks historical relic. The whole statue is toward the North with the images of Southern Mother and her children with their souls days and nights toward the North, the capital where Uncle Ho is there with the desire for reunification of the North and the South under the same home roof. Stylized coconut leaf is represented for the South region, the bulwark of the country
Latitude Parallel 17 Museum
Located in the Hien Luong - Ben Hai river banks historical relic, latitude parallel 17 museum is located in the Northern bank. Currently the museum is the place to displace hundreds of objects and pictures about a woeful and majestic period of the army and the people of Vinh Linh, Quang Tri and the whole country in 20 years of the war to fight for the reunification of the North and the South of the country. Especially the picture of Mother Diem and the National Flag were waving to protect the sky of the country all days.
Hien Luong Police Post
In accordance with Geneva Agreement, along the military boundary, there were 4 temporary police posts in Hien Luong, Cua Tung (Northern river bank), Xuan Hoa and Cat Son (Southern river bank).
Hien Luong police post was located near the bridge in the North including 3 buildings of A, B and C which together form V shape. Building A was constructed in 1955 where was the headquarter of police post in the Northern river bank. Building B was living places of polices. Building C was the army ordnance store where welcomed domestic and foreign visitors. Hien Luong police post included 2 squads (16 persons) under the Army Police force.
Hien Luong police post was under our control for 12 years (1954 -1965) where was not the place for denouncing the violation of Geneva Agreement of the America to international organizations but also the place where many severe fighting between our troops and enemy to protect his non-militaiy zone.
Loudspeaker System
To disclose the invading plot of the American Government and encourage and give strength to the Southern people in the war, we constructed the loudspeaker system with large and modern scale. The total capacity of this loudspeaker system on the Northern bank of Hien Luong river was 180,000W and 7,000W particularly for the bridge area of Hien Luong river. This loudspeaker system includes loudspeakers with capacity of from 25W to 500W. With various and diversified broadcasting programs, this loudspeaker system really infringed the loudspeaker system of the Government of America in the Southern river bank. ‘The war of sound” in two banks of Hien Luong river contributed to express the belief in the Party and Uncle Ho in the day when the country would be reunified.
Quang Tri Ancient Citadel
Quang Tri Ancient Citadel is located in the centre of Quang Tri town, approximately 2km away from National Highway No. 1A to the East. Reflecting in meek Thach Han river, the Quang Tri Ancient Citadel is the grave and bright symbol of the heroic revolution with the desire for freedom and independence. In this place, under the grass bed of the Ancient Citadel, blood of thousands of soldiers and the people was absorbed deeply in the ground in the war for protecting the country. Coming to the Ancient Citadel, the visitors shall wallow in peaceful and sacred space to remember of the violent and heroic war of our army and people against the American Empire in 81 days and nights of the boiling summer in 1972 which is well known throughout the world and to see the vitality of a land full with rain of bombs and storms of bullets. Coming to the Ancient Citadel, you will come to the land of spirit and memories of the most spiritual things.
The Quang Tri Ancient Citadel was recognized by Ministry of Culture and Information (currently known as Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism) rank as the vestige of National level in accordance with Decision No. 235/QD-BVHTT dated 12/12/1986. In 1994, the Quang Tri Ancient Citadel was ranked in the list of National vestiges with specially importance.
Mai Quoc Ca Statute 
Statute located at the Thach Han river bridge, 500m far from Quang Tri Ancient Citadel to the North, acknovledging the undaunted fight and heroic sacrifice of Mai Quoc Ca platoon on 10th April, 1972 in the American war to protect Quang Tri town.
In 1973, Mai Quoc Ca platoon was bestowed the prestigous title Hero of the People's Armed Forces by the Party and the Government. Ministry of Transport and Quang Tri Province constructed Mai Quoc Ca Platoon Memory Statute in 1996.
The Statute is located in the citadel complex where people and soldiers nationwide come to commemorate gratefully the heroic martyrs.
The ritual hall and the wreath laying quay on Thach Han river.
In 1972, two banks of Thach Han river became gateway for our military force to supply food and ammunition to strengthen support to the battlefield. There happened the violent fight of our military force and people during 81 days and nights to protect Quang Tri Ancient Citadel, left behind thousands of soldiers under Thach Han river bed. As usual, on
the occasion of celebrating the Quang Tri libration on 1st May every year, Quang Tri residents and peopIe nationwide visit the CitadeI bringing along fresh bouquets releasing to Thach Han river to cominenoate the heroic martyrs. Deriving from such idea, People‘s Committee of Quang Tri province and VietinBank decided to invest in constructing the ritual hall and the wreath laying quay on Thach Han river. This humanism works was completed with Bell Tower of the Citadel to create a highlight in the historical relic’s community in Quang Tri Ancient Citadel. This is the place for people nationwide to visit and offer flowers to express their gratitude for martyrs fallen down on this area.
Le Duan Commemoration House, Statue and Park
The house where commemorates the General Secretary Le Duan is located in Hau Kien hamlet, Trieu Thanh commune, Trieu Phong district, about 3km away from Quang Tri town along Provincial Road 64 to the East North. Memorial house is the place to express the esteem and gratitude of the people throughout the country in general and people of Quang Tri in particular to Le Duan’s career. On the occasion of 100th  birth anniversary of the former General Secretary Le Duan (07/04/1907- 07/04/2007), the local government and people of Quang Tri inaugurated the commemoration area including park, house and the statue. The statue of General Secretary Le Duan was casted by rock crystal monolithic block with base having the height of 9.9m and ceremony place with width of 1,570m2 located at the centre of the park. Together with the commemoration house, this is a works with much social and political meanings of the whole country to express the deep gratitude to the talent leader of the Party, the nation and contribute to the education on revolution tradition to the young generations today and in the future.
The Provisional Revolutionary Government of South Vietnam Republic
This relic is in the vicinity of Tan Hoa hamlet, Cam Thanh commune, Cam Lo district, 12km far from Dong Ha city on the West, about 200m from National Road No 9 on the North. The residence of the Provisional revolutionaiy government of South Vietnam Republic was commenced to build on 6/5/1973 and finished on 30/5/1973. The whole material was contributed by Northern people.
Since established, the area has gathered democracy forces around revolutionary government to fight for democracy and national independence. The first time in liberated area, provisional revolutionary government has an office to work and establish diplomacy relation with nations and countries all around the world, to represent Southern people’s voice. The provisional revolutionary government with lucid and sensible strategies and policies has leaded Southern people from this victory to another one, conducted the sacred war of resistance against America Empire to victory completedly. The area was ranked national vestige in 1991 by Ministry of Culture and Information.
Quang Tri Museum
Quang Tri Museum was established on the separation of Binh Tri Thien Museum. The museum located at No. 03, Nguyen Hue street, Dong Ha city, with an area of 10,000m2, two displaying systems: fixed space and outdoor space. The fixed displaying system has an area of 2,350m2, including 02 floors and displaying 5,000 documents, original objects and nearly 1,000 photos. Quang Tri Museum is ranked the best museum of the Central, which have attracted the attention of people all around the country to visit.
Ho Chi Minh Trail
On mighty Truong Son mountain range of the country with S shape, the trail having the great honor to bear the name of the loved leader of Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh trail has become the legend road with the song of a time of “Splitting Truong Son to find road saving the country when the soul is full of hope for future”. Especially, Ho Chi Minh trail crossing Quang Tri province had become the central point in the years of violent war against American Empire. Ho Chi Minh trail relic includes:
Ho Stream
This is the name of mountainous on the West of Vinh Linh district and belongs to Vinh Ha commune, approximately 7km away from Ben Quan town. This is the starting point of the trail on Truong Son road to support for the Southern battlefield in the most difficult period to start the itinerary of “Splitting Truong Son to find road saving the country” of Vietnamese nation.
Khe Sanh – Sa Tam – Ta Long
This is the branch road of Ho Chi Minh trail located in two districts of Huong Hoa and Dakrong. This road is connected with Road 9 at Km65 and intersected with Ho Chi Minh trail at Km72 and 27km away from Dakrong beauty spot. This was the strategic transportation road when Truong Son road was moved from the West to the East to make considerable contributions for the war to liberate the South and reunite the country.
Ben Tat Suspension Bridge
This bridge is crossed the upstream of Ben Hal river on Road 15 and located in Vinh Truong commune, Vinh Linh district, 40m away from the gate to Truong Son National Cemetery to the West - North.
Ben Tat suspension bridge was constructed in 1973 by Regiment No.99 of the Corps of Engineers on Road 15 to replace the overpass in the upstream of Ben Hal river by Ben Tat underground port. Up to 11/1973, Ben Tat suspension bridge was completed and operated to speed up the supports for Southern battlefield.
Vinh Moc Tunnel – Underground village
Located in Vinh Thach commune, Vinh Linh district, 36km away from Dong Ha city to the East North, the tunnels of Vinh Moc are the most unique works in tens of small and big tunnels works in Vinh Linh district which were constructed from 04/1966 and completed in 12/1967. Vinh Moc tunnels were the inter-tunnels connected with 13 gates with thousands of meters of the tunnels and small ones crossing thousands of meters of combat trench. The structure of the tunnels is divided into 3 layers in which the deepest layer is 23m away from the ground. Layers are connected by the main axis with the length of 768m, height of 1.6m to 1.8m, width of from 1.2m to 1.5m. Two main axles are from 3m to 5m away which are in the same family. The tunnels include a big conference room with the capacity of from 50 to 80 persons where was the place for meetings, art performances, surgery room, maternity clinic, observation station, air ventilation well, water well...Vinh Moc tunnel is the small image of a village constructed under the ground where was both accommodation, living, bomb avoidance place for the people and the headquarter of the local government, logistics store for keeping foods, weapons for Con Co island and Southern battlefield in the years of violent war against the American Emperor.
Coming to Vinh Moc tunnel today, the visitors can live again the glorious and magnanimous period of the history and  people who made it.
Mc.Namara Electric Fence
Located in Gio Linh district, 14km away from Dong Ha city to the North, Doc Mieu was considered as the most important point of Mc. Namara fence. In this place, the enemy constructed the concrete tunnels, mobile blockhouse system with firecracker battlefield to bombard the North of Ben Hai river with 37 air defense battlefields, control centre to protect the fence, amour-plate battalion with many complex companies of the America. Around the base, besides the barbed wire fence with bombs and mines, there was a alarm system to detect the sudden break.
All though this was a modern base, Mc.Namara electrical fence was gradually ineffective by activities of our troops. Firstly, our troops made attacks to destroy each section to bring the forces and arms into the battlefield. In first days, we fired on Quang Tri battlefield in 1972, guerillas of Trung Giang, Trung Hai, Trung Son communes surrounded and shot hundreds of DKB, A2 bullets and bombs into the base in 3 days and the enemy had to flee at 31/03/1972 night and led to the collapse of Quan Ngang base. . .
Today, Mc. Namara electrical fence rehabilitation project was approved by the Government of Vietnam and after this project is completed, this will be an attractive destination for tourists, especially the researchers on military arts.
Truong Son National Cemetery
After the reunification date of the country, the Central Party and Ministry of National Defense approved the project on constructing Truong Son National Cemetery in Quang Tri province to be the place for commemorating and respecting the fellow children of the fatherland who sacrificed along Truong Son road for the career of liberation and reunification of the nation.
The Cemetery was constructed on 24/10/1975 and completed on 10/04/1977, located on 6 hills as 6 wings of the flower in Gio Linh district, approximate 38km away from Dong Ha city and more than 20km away from Gio Linh town to the West- North.
Truong Son National Cemetery is the place gathering 10,333 graves- the forever resting place of soldiers who sacrificed on Ho Chi Minh trail in the war against American Enemy to save the country. This is the commemoration works with biggest scale and high art to express the deep love, gratitude, thanks and respects of the whole Party, army troops and the people for the fellow children from nationwide to those who died for the career of national liberation and reunification of the country.
Road 9 National Cemetery
Road 9 National Cemetery was constructed on 02/09/1995 and completed on 27/07/1997 on a hill of Ward 4, Dong Ha city, approximate 6km away from the centre of Dong Ha city to the West. This is the resting place of 10,045 revolutionary martyrs. Revolutionary martyrs resting in this place mainly sacrificed on the battlefield along Road 9 in the war against America to save the country of our people.
In the main platform in the cemetery, there was a bell-tower with beautiful architectural lines with a bell with weight of nearly 1 ton inside. Behind of the platform, graves were planned into lots, zones or each province. In holidays, especially on the Day of Martyrs and Wounded Soldiers 27/7 every year, the relatives of these martyrs, organization, unions and young people from every where of the country come to this place to commemorate the people who died for the peace of the country. Incense sticks are represented for the sincere thanks of to the people who died for the country and for reminding oneself of a glorious and magnanimous period in the history of the Vietnamese National.
Lao Bao Prison
Lao Bao prison located in Duy Tan hamlet, Tan Thanh commune, Huong Hoa district, and approximate 22km away from Khe Sanh town to the West.
In the Feudal period, this place was boundary protection post of Nguyen family to protect the Western frontier of the Country. At end of XIX Century and beginning of XX Century, to put down the patriotic movement of our people, the French Colonialist paid all efforts to terrorize and arrest patriotic soldiers and labour people and construct Lao Bao prison (in 1908) to keep in prison patriotic people in the Central region.
Lao Bao prison was the biggest prison in the Indochina at that time keeping patriotic people and communist soldiers of Vietnam and Lao. Regulations in this prison were very violent and harsh. They tortured prisoner to become disabled people. In the spiritual life, prisoners were not permitted to read newspapers, write letter to their families or meet their relatives… All personnel activities had to have permission from guards.
Lao Bao prison is a place representing for the revolution will and determination for the victory in all situations of the patriotic people and communist soldiers and also the valuable lesson of revolution morality education for the young generations.
Ta Con Air-base – Road 9 – Khe Sanh
From Lao Bao town, along National Highway No.9 to the East of approximate 20km, the visitors will come to Ta Con Air-base - Road 9 - Khe Sanh. Ta Con Air-base - Road 9 - Khe Sanh is the name of the strategic military base of the American troops in 1966 - 1968. Located in Khe Sanh military base, Ta Con Air-base - Road 9 was the place linking closely with many important events relating to the campaign to liberate Khe Sanh in 1968. Together with a series of bases constructed along Road 9 from Dong Ha to Khe Sanh, Ta Con Air-base - Road 9 military base was considered as the central base constructed with the length of 2km and width of 1km including many sub-bases with permanent fortified positions and a big-size airport for many heavy militaly planes for landind and taking off such as C130, C123, helicopters for transporting army troops and weapons. With such arrangement, Ta Con Air-base and other neighboring points became an uninterrupted and mobile defending system of the American Army which was considered as the “hardest” point in the Khe Sanh military base.
Ta Con Air-base - Road 9 was recognized by Ministry of Culture and Information as the National vestige in accordance with Decision No. 236/QD-BVHTT dated 12/12/1986.
Con Co – “Offshore watching tower”
Looking from the mainland, Con Co island looks like a battleship to watch and guard the sea and sky of Quang Tri. Con Co island is also known with other names such as Tiger or Me island, which is approximate 15 sea mile away from Cua Tung coast to the West. The island is 230ha in width, and in the war against the America to protect the country, this place was very heroic with many victories. Thus in the war against the America, Con Co island was commended as the heroic island for two times.
Coming to Con Co island today, the visitors can visit and be reminded of the months and years in the war of Quang Tri people on Con Co heroic island to see the vitality of the island with many beautiful landscapes which passionate the people.
La Vang Church
La Vang church belongs to Hai Phu commune, Hai Lang district, 16km from Dong Ha city in Southwest direction. It is said that in August 1798 (Canh Thinh King Dynasty), there was religion prohibition order, catholic killing, catholic people run to hide in La Vang, and the Virgin Mary appeared on sod beside three huge banyan trees to “rescue souls in danger”. Then, La Vang church was built in the first years of Minh Mang King Dynasty to be the place to “rescue souls” of catholic people and remind where the Virgin Mary appeared. From 1886 to 1900, the church was rebuilt to be more spacious, and in 1961, the church was officially recognized “Basilica” by Catholic Church. Every year, in the middle of August, catholic community from everywhere come, join festivals, and pray.
Sac Tu Pagoda
Sac Tu pagoda has another name Tinh Quang pagoda, located in Ai Tu town, Trieu Phong district nearly 1km from 1A National Highway in the West. Pagoda was built in 1739 under Le Y Tong King with the name Tinh Do pagoda, was restored in 1941 and rebuilt in 1975. Going through more than 250 years, ups and down of history made the temple change much, but it still confirms the importance by traditional human source of land and people of Quang Tri. The temple stores a high art value item, it is Amitabha Buddha statue.
Sac Tu pagoda was recognized national vestigate by Ministry of Culture-Information in 1991.
Tourism Information and Promotion Division
Translator: Minh Phuong

Total notes of this article: 0 in 0 rating

Click on stars to rate this article

Newer articles

You did not use the site, Click here to remain logged. Timeout: 60 second